Shoulder Pain Diagnosis and Treatment in Marion and Hiawatha
Most people associate chiropractors with dysfunction and treatment of the spine. While our Marion and Hiawatha chiropractor team members are indeed experts on spinal health, we also diagnose and treat other area of the body, including the shoulder. At Wickwire Chiropractic and Wellness Center, our team is proud to provide drug-free and holistic care for people experiencing acute or chronic shoulder pain.
Common Types of Shoulder Pain
According to research shared by the Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association, injuries and conditions affecting the upper extremity account for 8.6% of all chief complaints of people who seek chiropractic care, and this doesn't even include people who have upper extremity pain as a secondary issue.
Some of the most common types of shoulder pain we evaluate and treat at our clinic include:
- Frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis): progressive loss of mobility, often as a reaction to inflammation, injury, or infection in the shoulder joint
- Rotator cuff tears and strains: micro-damage to the fibers of muscles within any of the muscles supporting the shoulder girdle
- Arthritis: including osteoarthritis (joint and cartilage breakdown) and rheumatoid arthritis (joint inflammation caused by an autoimmune reaction)
- Impingement syndrome: compression of tendons and other soft tissue structures in and around the shoulder area
It's important to realize that shoulder pain can often be related to, or be caused by, issues within the spine or elsewhere within the body. This includes myofascial stress, cervical radiculopathy, and whiplash.
Common Causes of Shoulder Pain
So, what's causing all this shoulder pain? A few common risk factors, many of which are preventable, include:
- Poor posture
- Repetitive movement and lifting, especially overhead
- Poor ergonomics
- Trauma, including slips and falls
We advise all of our patients not to ignore nagging shoulder aches and pains. If left unaddressed, a small issue can lead to chronic dysfunction that may include weakness, pain, stiffness, and diminished overall function.
How a Chiropractor Can Help You Manage Your Shoulder Pain
A chiropractor can provide natural and drug-free treatment that relieves pain and addresses the root cause of your shoulder issue. We often provide:
- Postural assessment and training
- Chiropractic and extremity adjustments to improve the alignment of the spine and shoulder (and the dynamic relationship between them)
- Exercises and stretches to improve strength, range of motion, endurance, and tissue healing
- Massage therapy to break up adhesions, relax tense fascia, and facilitate healing blood flow
Is Your Shoulder Irritating You?
Call Wickwire Chiropractic and Wellness Center at 319-393-3345 to schedule an appointment today.